Archive for the ‘workaround’ Category
Digikam has issues with albums on a network share. It uses sqlite database, and it seems that the database file cannot be stored on a share.
Now, I was stumped when Digikam refused to work the first time, I thought it was because of the overwhelming number of photographs that I threw at it – 30GB, over network. So I reduced it to 12MB… nothing happened. That’s when I sensed that something is wrong.
The above bug report almost washed away all hopes of having my files on a central fileserver and accessing them from the various machines around me. I went to sleep at 6 am, thinking about this… woke up for lunch, and woke up with an idea – I mounted the share on a directory which is outside the path of Digikam’s library, then I symlinked the directory into the library. So now basically, the sqlite database sits on my local harddisk, but the files are accessed from the server – problem solved!
Share mounted on: /home/harshad/shared/
Actual photos on: /home/harshad/shared/photos/2007/
ln -s /home/harshad/shared/photos/2007 /home/harshad/images/shared
I should mention that it works fine when I have the sample images amounting upto 12MB… when I gave it the whole library, it loaded the information into the database, but after showing no further progress for more than 30 minutes, I terminated it.
I think I’ll have to have various symlinks for smaller sections of my library and have shell scripts to create / delete these symlinks before loading digikam to make it lighter on the software and network!
Hope this issue is solved and we don’t need this workaround.
Note: Edited on 5 March 2007 for some typos.